Gubbio was a city under the name Umbra Ikuvium Iguvium mail or on the lines of communication between Tirrento and the Adriatic. Testimonies of the Umbrian period are important Tables of Gubbio, discovered around the mid-fifteenth century and purchased by the city in 1456, consisting of seven bronze tablets, partly written in Umbrian alphabet and partly in Latin, but always in the Umbrian language.
San Francesco in Gubbio
The city of Gubbio is closely tied to the history of St. Francis, in particular, to an event in his life said, that the encounter with the wolf.
Monuments and places of interest
The Palazzo dei Consoli was built in the fourteenth century by the city government, which thus wanted to witness the greatness and the power obtained from the city. The building, in Gothic style, is about sixty yards. Since 1901, houses the museum, which displays archaeological finds from ancient Umbrian, a coin collection and an art gallery.
Other places of interest are the Cathedral of Saints Marian and James, the churches of St. Francis, St. John, St. Martin, St. Peter’s and e St. Augustine, the Palazzo Ducale, the keep and the Roman Theater.
Gubbio is traditionally called the “town of fools” referring to the proverbial unpMay 15redictability of Gubbio. A traditional custom is to give the “license madman” who makes three laps around the sixteenth century “Fontana dei Matti”, located off the Bargello.
The city of Gubbio is situated on the route of the pilgrimage, the Way of Assisi.
In May it also takes the famous Corsa dei Ceri: the religious festival takes place May 15 of each year. Tradition has it that a party in honor of Saint Ubaldo Baldassini, Urban, Bishop and Patron of Gubbio, who died in 1160, and it would be the result of the transformation of a primary offering of wax that the medieval guilds eugubine donated to the Patron. Other have instead originated from pre-Christian pagan festivals, perhaps in a festival in honor of the goddess Ceres, linked to the awakening of Spring.